Google Adsense

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Wishlist Wednesday: Beautiful Books


This week's guest post is by Rivka at Beautiful Books. She reviews all kinds of children's books for preschool age and provides exciting and fun activities to go along with them. Take a moment to check out her blog and become a follower!

Thanks so much to Cachey Mama for inviting me to share on Wishlist Wednesday! My hope is that this post is as inspiring and fun for you to read as it was for me to write!
Books are always at the top of my wishlist, and every classroom and home should have plenty. (Need some ideas? You might enjoy browsing my top picks.) But almost every mamma and teacher wants more great books.
So what else do I want? A better place to read them! Thankfully this post gave me an opportunity to do something just for fun. Logged into my Pinterest account and started pinning and creating the perfect book nook. I know just where I want to put it - in the living/playroom right next to the two tall book shelves. It is kind of a mess right now.
Here is a picture of what it looks like now:
What’s Wrong With It
  1. There is a desk (you can see the corner on the right hand side) that just becomes a dump all for everything that doesn’t have a place.
  2. The single chair was great for one child snuggled in my lap, but now is too little for my three little ones and primarily is used for the cushions that can removed and used for tumbling mats.
  3. While their is wonderful light coming through the window, on cloudy days, or in the evening, it need more light. I would love some wall sconces to bring in some nice warm light without cluttering the floor.
My Wishlist
  1. I would like to paint the bookshelves that are there white, and the walls a calming blue to bring some color into the spot.
  2. Add another small corner bookshelf, as the books are overflowing off the shelves right now. Perhaps make this just for board books or books for the youngest so they are in easy reach.
  3. Put the craft supplies that are on the upper shelves in decorative boxes and label.
  4. Add bean bags and pillows in decorative colors and fun patterns where the desk is now for a comfy place to sit. Perhaps put a little tent in the corner for some privacy when wanted, just really drapey curtains over the window.
  5. Add a basket or two for books as well to keep things tidy and add a touch of whimsy.
Browsing online, I came across a free interior decorating software called Homestyler.com, so here is what I was able to come up with as a rough sketch (note the 3rd rendering of the picture put a strange wall that covers half the photo, but you get the idea).
Just shows you the power of visualization! Immediately I went from feeling discouraged about the mess that is there right now to inspired about what the space could will become.
Why This is My Wishlist Wednesday
If you want your children to be lifelong readers, a big part of the job is building good memories around reading and making it fun. While there are lots of ways that we already do this, I know that having a special space for snuggling and reading would make it all that much better!

0 comments:

Post a Comment