Google Adsense

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Storytime Sunday: Snow

Here is my selection of snow/winter books for this week. These are only few of the MANY great children's books about winter. They were just a few I happened to have in my personal collection that I have been using with my son this weekend as we have begun exploring snow. The Snowy Day is an older book that I'm sure most of you have read. I like it because it describes actions that children can replicate in the snow. While not particularly about snow, the book On the Night You Were Born is a wonderful book and there are some really awesome outdoor pictures including the polar bears in the snow.



Here are some photos of my sensory bin I used with my 1 year old. I actually left the blue lights in here from the light box I had made and covered it with a white towel then lined it with cotton balls. The blue lights shine through a little bit, just enough to give it that glow that ice sometimes gets when it's really thick. 
CAUTION: DO NOT TRY THIS WITH THE LIGHTS! I had to take my lights out today because they got nearly hot enough to melt the toys inside. Just use some tissue paper or foam under the towel or no towel at all. Just to eliminate the fire hazard completely. Sorry.
The snowflakes are cut out of wrapping paper. There is metallic wrapping paper for a frozen pond with a small snowman figure.



After L played awhile, I decided to give him another empty bin to transfer the cotton balls into since he mostly wanted to take them out of the bin. Also, we added some measuring cups for scooping and pouring.

 At school, we brought some snow inside as it was too cold to go outside. The kids had a blast with it and wanted some art materials to help them build their snowman. I also brought snow in for L to play with at home this weekend and some ice from our newly working ice maker, but as soon as I went to take the photo, L began to fuss. Figures!



We also made sparkly snowflakes with glitter. We used the printable pattern from here. I was going to let the kids cut them out, but once folded, it was too thick for their little scissors to cut through, so I did it for them.

What books have you been reading about winter?


9 comments:

  1. Awesome snow sensory bin and I love your book selection.I too own 2 of those that I had forgotten about. Thanks for the reminder! :) Happy Learning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just did activities with The Snowy Day too! We also did a penguin day after reading The Little Penguin. It was a great way to introduce facts about penguins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am just hopping over from my Enchanted Thursdays Blog Hop to thank you for linking up! I love the indoor snowmen and who doesn't love the storybook the Mitten. I love the sparkly snowflakes. Looks like everyone had a great time and you have some wonderful ideas. Thank you for liking up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've never read "10 Little Penguins"! LOVE Snowy Day.

    The glitter snowflakes are pretty!

    Thanks for linking up to Learning Laboratory at Mama Smiles =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I teach Around the World on a private school in Costa Rica. For our kids getting to see or touch snow becomes a great dream,maybe, you could get your older kids (5-6), interested on knowing that right now in the same Continent other kids are on their vacation and starting the dry season, enjoying the beach. Kids love to listen to stories about other children. We will start the school year on Feb.and I always begin with North Pole, so all your activities on winter time are useful to us. Thank you. Laura Oreamuno. Costa Rica

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of fun!! Thanks so much for sharing this with us at Sharing Saturday. Hope you have a great week. Looking forward to seeing more of your posts.

    ~MiaB
    www.mamamiasheart2heart.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your sparkly snowflakes are so pretty! Thanks for sharing on TGIF Linky Party! Looking forward to seeing you next week!
    Beth =-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh, fun! Thanks for sharing at Shine on Fridays!

    ReplyDelete